Sunday, January 22, 2012

Greetings From Cork

Hello! 

I'm noticing a trend, I leave you all for long periods of time and then apologize profusely upon my return.  So consider that part done.  As you read from my title, I am now in Cork, Ireland.  I've been here since September 2011.  I'm just back here after visit home for 3 weeks.  So many interesting developments have occurred in my time here.  I'm a bit more than one third of the way done with my Masters in Ethnomusicology, I'm Reiki certified, and I'm contemplating what I'd like to do after the MA.  An interesting shift has happened.  See, it was always my plan to move to Ireland and then stay here forever.  I was supposed to get swept off my feet by a dashing Irishman, and then the rest of my life would fall into place...none of that has happened.  I love it here.  I could very easily see myself living here.  But now, I'm feeling a pull to move home after the MA. 

First, I considered taking a year off then applying to PhD programs in the US, but now I don't even know of I want to do that.  I'm getting fed up with academia.  I loved teaching the Irish music portion to my World Music class in my undergrad.  And I would love to be a professor, but I'm not sure I possess the stamina to get there.  It takes years to even get the PhD, let alone a secure job at a university.  Perhaps my desire to teach could be satisfied in a private high school?  Or even a community college?  Or will I always be looking longingly at my undergrad institution's professors wishing I was doing what they were doing?  I suppose only time will tell.  I know for sure that I'll be taking a year off from academia after I move home.  So I guess something will come to me. 

Secondly, remember that Significant Other I referred to in previous posts?  Well, a powerful and unexpected twist of fate has brought him back into my life.  Or rather, brought us back into each others' lives.  Apologies were made on both sides and forgiveness given.  Now there are new question marks.  We've both discovered or rather uncovered residual feelings.  So far we're treading lightly and testing the waters.  Those close to me tell me to be careful.  Some discourage me from "going there".  I have to trust my intuition on this.  I have my concerns of course.  I'm sure he does too.  But I must say, our communication is better than it ever has been.  2012 is looking to be a very interesting year :-)

Tabhair aire,
Keely

No comments:

Post a Comment