Monday, August 16, 2010

Forms and Fees...the joys of beaurocracy

So apparently my long stay visa is going to cost me $129.00.  So, not only am I filling out a bunch of forms and showing every document that proves my existence, they also want me to PAY for them to tell me that yes, I am in fact a human residing on planet Earth and that I can in fact work and live in their country.  Thank you, France, I really appreciate it.  Look, I understand that governments need to know that they're not just letting any riff-raff and shenanigans into their country, but for those of us who have in fact been hired by a school, and are totally legit, it's really frustrating.  Being a foreigner is frustrating.  Pretty soon my life will come down to words on paper and inconvenience.  I know the US isn't really any better, and I commend those legal immigrants who are driven enough to persevere through the process, but still, it sucks.  I have my visa appointment at the French Consulate tomorrow morning.  I'm not excited, I'm not amused, and I am definitely very nervous.  I've been in this boat before as a student studying abroad...but it was different then, more things were already set up for me.  I pretty much had to just show up and hand over some paper.  My visa was given to me that same day.  I have no idea what I'm walking into tomorrow.  Ugh.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment