Wednesday, May 16, 2012

How to write an MA thesis...among other things

Hello Interwebs!  

     I know, this isn't like me to post again so soon, but the writing bug has bitten me.  I finally made it to the library to start research for the first chapter of my MA thesis.  I have to say, I'm getting excited about it now.  I've made a decision as to my housing for the Summer, so that's one stress off.  I've also come to terms with my homesickness and what I want in my life and how I'm ready to move on to the next phase.  Awesomeness.
    Now, first off, I must say that today I entered the library rather unprepared.  I went in armed with pens, a pad of paper, and a rough idea of what I wanted to study...the Muscrai Gaeltacht.  And I also had in mind a book to look at.  That's where my preparedness ends, however.  I had no direction whatsoever!  I found myself getting lost in all the articles my eyes swam over in the Companion to Irish Traditional Music.  It took me forever to find the entries pertaining to my subject anyway.  And what did I want to know?  Everything, duh!  The only problem is that I didn't have a book in front of me telling me the history of my area or anything.  And what was there were mere snippets of information.  I'm meant to be writing 3000 to 4000 words by the end of this month, I'll be needing more than snippet I'd say.  Next time I'll have more specific resources, my laptop, and will visit the copy room.  Phew!  So much to do!  
    As I was combing through the Companion, my mind wandered to my life after the MA.  I'm considering a career in teaching...but as I look into the certification process, I'm feeling overwhelmed.  So...what on Earth am I going to do?  What am I good at?  Writing, singing, ugh.  Somebody just give me a job I don't hate that gives benefits and a decent salary!!!

Stress much?

~Keely  

No comments:

Post a Comment